6.6.15

Wool blanket and a Synthetic bag

OK not going to labour the point but just wanted to share this one .........

On the Swedish trip I took a British Army Jungle sleeping bag and bivi as my sleep system and among other things my trusty old wool blanket to use as a match coat.

On the first day I wore the match coat and was greatly pleased with it - mostly for the warmth around the thighs - something missing from 99.9% of all modern clothing ...........

The jungle bag is what it is and is 2 season rated at best - but the night temperatures there needed a three season bag ........ my travelling companion being a wiser man than I had a Mammot 3 season bag and even he reported a chill on some nights ..... so what hope me with my think high summer bag?

Well initially I slept with the blanket OVER my sleeping bag and this worked well I was never cold! Then came the light bulb going on moment - ding!!

My blanket while being modified for a match coat had also had ties stitched on so it could be tied into a army poncho for a emergency sleep system ......... and lo and behold a army jungle bag only has ties inside for the addition of a cotton liner .........

2 + 2 = a wool sleeping bag liner ............

And folks it worked a treat - indeed I was actually too warm on occasion.

So before anyone say the obvious "why not just take a 3 season bag" etc yawn ect ......... where is your sense of adventure guys eh?

The answer is VERSATILITY .........

So pro's - warmth and versatility (sleep system and warm clothing), wool being fire safe and warmer when wet

Con's - weight and bulk

Just putting it out there ............





2 comments:

Mike Lea said...

So very true The answer is VERSATILITY. So many times winter or summer taken a lighter less of a season bag and just worn clothing jacket, hat when needed even in the winter you have varied temperature on different nights.

Keep up the good posts my kids are young so getting out for many long trips anymore. Refreshing to see people enjoying the outdoors to its fullest.

Nick Ford said...

Thanks. After reading this I have ordered a British army jungle sleeping bag for use with arctic liner and wool blanket, inside canvas bivvy bag. During the current 'cold' weather I intend to test outside in the garden. Will let you know how I get on.