14.9.13

Old Hickory

I haven't been a prolific blogger lately due to home commitments and working away from the same (although soon once my home move is sorted out I will be back in the saddle and able to do much more) anyway today I thought I'd share something with you dear reader.

There has been a lot of interest and a lot of stuff on you tube etc about the Old Hickory Butcher knife so naturally I wondered what all the fuss was. Also being a big fan of the whole fur trade era I am more than interested in tools and skills which echo the high times of the mountain men and the Hudson's bay company.

So I decided to get a Old Hickory Butcher knife and find out for myself.

Well friends I ordered two, as the price was too good to ignore, from a supplier in American (oddly this was still cheaper than buying one from the lowest price seller in UK!) and I am pleased to say that no fuss or messing around they arrived the other day.

First thing to note, tool comes in a blister pack with no sheath - secondly it has a secondary bevel on the blade. As long as your aware of this then you'll understand what a great item you've acquired.

So needless to say the first thing I did was sharpen one of mine (you should always sharpen a knife from new regardless as this ensures the wire is removed and adds longevity to the cutting edges life) then I oiled the scales and finally the blade.

That done I knew I needed a sheath, having a good idea of the type of sheath I wanted I googled "mountain man sheath" and found a picture of a sheath on a antiques sight which fitted the bill just fine.


So with this in mind I spent two days making a sheath, wet formed - riveted - stitched - laced and dyed and I am very pleased with the final result.


This type of sheath was typical of the mountain men and was designed and worn so the belt trapped the knife in the sheath which, some have thought, was a safety feature to prevent lose and the knife being pulled out by an enemy during combat.



I'm yet to test the knife itself although I can already confirm it throws a spark off a fire steel good and proper and will turn a spark off a piece of flint very well too - so already two big plus' ............ as for the rest watch this space, once I have had time to test it out I'll report back!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking good, Gary! I've thought many times about getting one myself. Let us know how it works out for you.

weekendwoodsman