30.7.13

Wet and Wind in the Beacon's

This weekend myself, Steve and Tomo spend a long weekend hiking the Brecon beacons - no easy task at the best of times but lucky us - we had howling winds, driving rain and the sort of visibility which makes you wonder at your sanity!

And what a fantastic time we had.

The reason for our visit was many fold chief among them was the pleasure of it, a chance to test kit with an eye to next years Fjallraven classic and training - the weather and the hills certainly ensure our aims were met.

Below is my packing list


Generic Hiking kit list (incl clothing)

Hiking clothing (combinations worn)
Kitchen
Craggie trs – belt and braces
Socks + underwear
CRUX STOVE, GAS, PRIMUS POTS-– -
Merino T-shirt
Stainless mug – Rations/brew kit
checked shirt –
matches – spoon/s - condiments
Hat to suit conditions
Filter Waterbottle – dromedry
Canvas Gaiters
 
Walking shoes or boots as weather dictates
Clothing
 
Mountain cap + scarf + wool gloves
Carried on body
Waterproof jacket + waterproof trousers
 Map/Compass/whistle – Bandana/buff
Down jacket + thick wool socks + seal skins
 
Flip flops
Hygiene
Fleece jacket (can be zipped into w/proof)
Wash kit and house wife + Insect repellent
 
 
Shelter
Sack - 55 litre
Tent
 
Sleeping bag
  
Sleeping mat (therma rest)
 
 
 
Possibles
 
GPS- head torch – Mora clipper stainless
 

Dress code – walking shoes, socks, pants, craggy trousers, merino t-shirt, walking shirt, boonie.

 
I used every item I carried - and have to say my biggest surprise was my REGATTA ISOLITE 5000 jacket - in appealing weather this jacket never once let me down and as I said to the guys at the time I rate it better than any goretex jacket I've ever owned - seriously if your in for a new jacket forget the expensive brand names and give this jacket a try!
Ok picky time - pictures from my phone so apologise for the quality .......... and down below the sun shine, mostly I only took pictures when the rain stopped as I didn't want my phone trashed!

Base camp - first night - and look raining!!
 





Moi doing a selfy!
 













 
Happy days!!
 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gary mate, this is another 'Kit List wif fotos' post. Howsabout a bit of outdoor living, gettin ya hands dirty n all. For a WEISS instructor you do post a lot of "Hiking but with more stuff". Come on, give us a bit more adventure and less Little Britain Walking Club. ;-)

Survivall said...

Good point I seem to be doing more Hiking than bushcrafting these days. But I make NO excuses for it as I am enjoying the exercise as well as the "new" experiences

I'll do more bushcraft posts in the future,I have a few courses coming up so will definitely cover those - but bear in mind this blog is about wilderness living its not a bushcraft only blog but one that encompasses all aspects of outdoor life whether that's Hiking, rabbiting or the latest WEISS course.

Bushcraft skills are great but unless you get out and use them enjoying the wilderness as a whole it becomes a bit like learning to drive but not owning a car!!

Sean said...

In reply Gary, good points and well made and you shouldnt make any excuses for gettin out there and doing something. Hope I didnt poke too hard I was just tryin to get a bit more insight into the time you spend actually living in the bush (I have a 20 acre spread here and spend a lot of time out with the livestock and working in the 'bush' so for me its maybe too easy to be critical). Hiking and bushcraft isnt wilderness living, its just passing through for a time and the mentality is totally different. We all use the same gear just in different ways. What we get out if it is sometimes different. Thsnkd for the reply. Keep writing and keep walking and I'll keep reading. ;-)

moose said...

great picks buddy, nice to see good old blighty once again. find myself doing allot of day walks now and canoing when i get time. must be getting old though the canoe is equiped with an outboard.
love the last post about getting habds dirty. most bushcrafters are no more than a 10 min walk from their car let alone try anything else part fron draining lager cans

Survivall said...

Cheers Guys ......... Sean 20 acre spread eh - whys the invite??

Clive - an outboard - tut!! Still on the plus side leaves ONE hand free to hold the tin!!

Anonymous said...

Heh he..no worries Gary. Next time youre in the Netherlands, drop me a line. Weve always got room in the stables!!! LOL!!

Survivall said...

;) I've slept in worse places :)

Survivall said...

;) I've slept in worse places :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful scenery, Gary. Thanks for sharing!

weekendwoodsman