18.3.13

21st Century Longhunter ...........or just bushcraft

OK bit of a spin on the theme ............. the longhunter as well as everything else would have been a man who could replace almost all the items of his kit with items found or manufactured by himself from nature (unlike most of us today)

So with this in mind I thought I'd have a little go at making my own gear (I also have a fancy dress party to go too so two birds one stone!)

Anyway  the end results - I made the moccassins, the trousers, the hunting shirt and some time ago I also made the fur Canadian cap and the possibles bag. I think I did a good job and am confident that if worse came to worse I could cloth myself in the woods too ..............

BUT more importantly I have learnt new "real" world skills because at the end of the day your clothing is your first line of defence again the elements, learning to light a fire is a very important skills, but if in the long term you can not repair or replace your clothing then maybe your skills aren't altogether perfect?




5 comments:

moose said...

good job. how long did it take to make the outfit.
i wonder how many bushcrafters could not even sew on a button in the field, or put it another way could not be bothered to replace a button in the field.
was the pattern your`s of did you find it on the web. one floor in the fancy dress you shaved the long hunters may not have used a bic..

Survivall said...

Exactly mate - the pattern for the shirt was mine the mocs was a old pattern I had already.

Appears shaving was more common among mountain men and hunters in those days as the natives were also beardless so it was a form of camouflage .......... that said I will grow the fuzz back ASAP - I want to go for a long plaited beard with silver Viking style beard rings .............

Akiri said...

Very nice looking clothes you have made :)

Survivall said...

Many thanks

Ross Gilmore said...

Very nice outfit. It's a skill worth having.

That being said, I think you are giving long hunters a bit too much credit. :)