31.12.12


Monday 31st December 2012. 2121hrs ……………

As I sit here, at the ending of the another year, beside the fire with my grand children beside me and a brave new year creeping over the horizon I ponder what it is I would like to share with you the most dear reader?

Over the year you have seen my trips out into the wild and rugged world – you have read my reviews and hopefully been inspired and entertained.

Maybe you have visited the nordmarken website (www.nordmarkencanoeuk.co.uk) and decided that in 2013 you will try something new, visit the place where Ray Mears claimed canoeing was close to a religious experience or maybe muster the courage to join us on one of our excellent WEISS courses.

Or maybe you have just learnt from my mistakes – saved yourself money by not falling to easily into the commercial trap which is set and baited so well?

My wish for 2013 is that I get to meet many of you in the wilds – to share a campfire and a kuksa, to swap a tale and a skill – to learn and to teach, to see and to experience somewhere I’ve never been before and to share the experience with friends old and new. Finland is definitely on the menu - as of course is Sweden and if my wyrd be such maybe even a trip the British Columbia ........... the coming year is full of potential!!

As I sit here with my oldest grandchild soundly sleeping while her baby brother is wide awake and gurgling with delight, full of life’s zest I take pleasure in that simple innocence and draw strength from their, as yet, unknown hopes for the future which I look forward to being a part of (please God) – looking upon them I realise the one truth that the ending of a year should bring home to us all, that life is too short to waste it on the small stuff – and so this is what I will share with you, as well as my best wishes for the future, I will share this wisdom ---

NEVER PUT OFF VISITING TIL TOMORROW THE PLACES YOU CAN VISIT TODAY, GET OUT THERE AND DO, ENJOY THE WIND AND THE RAIN, BASK IN THE SUN BUT DONT BE AFRAID OF THE SNOW. LEARN SKILLS AND DONT WASTE MONEY ON USELESS KIT - BUT ABOVE ALL SPEND THE TIME YOU HAVE WITH THOSE YOU LOVE BE THEY FRIENDS OR FAMILY OLD OR NEW!

And with that I will sign off – Happy New Year to you all ………………..

4 comments:

Mike said...

That last paragraph says it all as it should be and brought a smile to my face watching my 7 and 5 year old playing in the room.

Happy New Year to you and all your family.

Survivall said...

Cheers Mike!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you and all your family, I have liked your articles over the last year and have therefore decided for a new years resolution to change my want list (expensive toy list) to what I really need only list (keep it simple!)
Regards
Ian

Anonymous said...

Bearcub....you're a big ole softie!!! How the devil are you going to convince me of your man strength ;-) I love your posts and the comments you receive.