27.11.12


Received my Rough Rider today ............. first impressions its not as neat (in quality) feel but it seems ok.

Main blade was razor sharp - 440 steel (Chinese? maybe not so good but we'll see what rough riders quality controls like) - the little blade is a ok thing, not so sharp with a bevel on just one side and the thumb stud - cap lifter and bottle opener are ok and the awl is a wicked looking spike.

So overall very good first impressions - will EDC it for a while and we shall see what we see .......... but to be honest at £13 its already looking like value for money!


ps - interesting review?? http://blindkat.hegewisch.net/RRR/rrr_case-rr.html

10 comments:

Survivall said...

As a foot note - the little blade actually seems to be a can opener - what a cool design feature ...............

Finnman said...

Atleast that pocket knife looks damn good! Pity that there´s really none of those traditional pocket knives sold in Finland. :(

Survivall said...

Kai - if you cant get these in Finland after Christmas I'm happy to help you guys out ..........

Mike said...

Hi Gary,
What made you try this rough rider when you have a great tool the Scout penknife that one looks the better. Only close one I have to that is the Black version of the issue clasp knife a good penknife so basic tasks.

Survivall said...

Mike basically I googled my model of the scout and its seems to be worth over £100 these days!!.........so I decided to keep it somewhere safe and try out the closest knife I could find to it ..............

Mike said...

Good idea then. I like thicker bladeslike 2.5 will have to see how you get on with the rough rider and might be persuaded to move from SAK for general carry or my favourite issue clasp one.
Would like to see how the tin opener works.

weekendwoodsman said...

Well, it certainly is a handsome knife! I hope it works as good as it looks. :)

Waldgeistman said...

My basic 1958 MOD clasp knife will do it all. Not good looking but very functional. A must have when out and about. Good looking knife but can it cut the mustard Gary?

Survivall said...

That's the one you were issued when you enlisted mate - it was new then, fresh out the factory eh!! ")

Don't know about Mustard but its a spring is bloody strong ............

Finnman said...

"if you cant get these in Finland after Christmas I'm happy to help you guys out .........."

I´ll appreciate that, mate!