9.8.12

It doesnt happen often, in fact its a rare event altogether but today I had a epithany. Well more a rude awakening via the wisedom of one of my off spring.

My eldest daughter, nursey poohs and "the only member of this family who ever went to Uni" was watching me pack and unpack a Berghaus Munro as I tried to get the contents of my bedroll plus a British army bivi bag and a US army patrol sleeping bag into its tight little tummy ........ 30 litres hmmm?? I wonder!

Anyway "dad," she says, "what are you trying to do?"

"Pack a minimalist rucksack for next time I got to the woods" I replied.

"oh, dont you usually only take minimal stuff?"

Ding! Light blub on moment!

"ya I do! .......but."

"what you got in there thats less then?"

"Errr nothing really I just wanted to pack it in something smaller,"

"oh .............." strange look and rolling eyes with that scornful 'whatever' sigh of condemnation.

And she was right, on three scores as it happened.

Firstly, what was I carrying that was less? Nothing, I'd replaced a sleeping bag with a poncho liner and dropped my ground mat but thats not really worth writing home about.

Secondly, obviously my bedroll and haversack set up combined was of greater volume than my Munro ...........

Thirdly, and this is echoing what Ross and Waldergiesty bloke were saying, minimal kit is just that - minimal kit, its not going without kit, leaving behind kit NOR is it carrying loads of kit just in case ...........its the minimum kit required to ensure the survival of the Starship Me as I voyage around the wilderness, minimal kit is really your life boat and skills your rudder and sail.

So with that in mind heres my minimal kit list ................

1. Swedish Army LK35 rucksack + Haversack
2. US Army green sleeping bag – British Army bivi bag
3. Poncho
4. Mess tins (stainless steel)
5. Rations + brew kit
6. Spare socks, t-shirt
7. Wash kit and house wife
8. Buffalo M/shirt
9. Woolly hat & Gloves
10. 2x 58 pattern bottles, mug and filter
11. stove
12. A pair of work gloves
14. Possibles bag (first aid, cordage, axe stone, Etc)
15. Cutting tools
16. Tomahawk
 
Haversack to be used if room required – mess tins and rations, condiments inc can opener, filter, bottle and cup, spoon, stove, sheath knife (when not worn) – tomahawk etc - and for day hikes away from camp.

So there you go - full circle and back to a minimal kit that does everything I need of it, back to what I always carry - the bedroll is still a good idea, its fun and gives you reason to flex the brain a bit but for minimalism maybe we should do just that carry the "sensible" minimum and not shed kit just for the sake of it!


7 comments:

Ross Gilmore said...

Two very big thumbs up!!!

Mike said...

Got to agree thats the way forward. My only difference even through prefer external frames cant find a good LK35 so suffer the sweaty back.

Also carry a fold up tavel daypack instead of a haversack. There strong these days.

Survivall said...

Cheers Ross .......... Mike check out FU-KIT, they might have LK35's there for 19.99 (I think) ..... if not a LK35 what sack do you use mate??

Mike said...

use a HMS ronum similar to a Munro ( had one of those for 18 years did it fell apart). or use a Snugpak.

External frames own a Dragon supplies copy of the old SAS/Para Bergan

Survivall said...

Cheers mike - para nergens eh now that brings back memories

Mike said...

Yeah I know I get some looks carrying it but in the end I am comfortable with it.

Thanks for the tip with FU Kit. Birthday this month so Finally deserve a external framed day/weekend pack and excellent price.

Have to carry the 5 and 6 years kit for the day as well warm/waterproofs so should be ok.

Survivall said...

Well happy birthday mate!!