22.7.12


The good old fashion way .................. recently I've been going through a bit of a dilemma. My problem is kit, the modern bushcrafters dependancy on kit. The need of the modern outdoorsman to carry so much gear he needs a 4x4 to carry it all - and believe me I know more than one so called or self proclaimed expert who fits into this catagory as well as maybe a mislead newbie.

So for a while now I've been experimenting with various styles of carriage along the lines of the 18th century outdoorsman. The best combination I have found is the blanket roll and haversack.


 This combination allows versatility, good weight dispertion and freedom of movement - it solves the problem of a sweaty back (common with rucksacks) and allows the user to carry the essentials while being able to rely on their skills to provide the rest.

The bed roll also makes a handy little pillow for a midday nap!

The contents and break down of my bedroll and haversack -

Bedroll - Austrian army poncho, jungle bag, bw gorund sheet, woolly hat, fleece jacket.

Haversack - metal cup, 2 x waterbottles (one with filter) plate, saw, work gloves, gel stove, small bag of salt-pepper-spices, spoon, brew kit and rations, first aid kit. cordage and a map and compass.

This set is light and easily adapted to various conditions - its also much more fun to carry and use and I've really enjoyed experimenting with it - for example as the picture below shows one combination I tried was poncho and poncho liner which I slept in together - the combo worked well and was warm but condensation on the poncho proved a problem. Another set up I tried was to carry mess tins in the haversack again a successful set up but one I changed for the simplicity of just carrying a metal cup.


The reason I'm telling you this is because the individual needs to decide what combination works for them in their enviroment - but I would urge you to try it because its a fun, and it offers a freedom you may not have experienced before - freedom from the tyranny of kit dependancy!


8 comments:

weekendwoodsman said...

I've tried a setup nearly identical to what you've shown here, Gary, and I love it (for one-night trips). You can fit enough food and water for a day or two and plenty of gear in the shoulder bag and have sufficient shelter with the bedroll.

For longer trips, I like to take a backpack so I can fit a more extensive cooking kit, toiletries, more food etc. But for shorter trips, your system works very well!

Karl said...

Great post Gary... I'm liking the way you have worked the old with the new....

I have posted a link to this on my own Blog...

Karl

http://ranger-pathfinder-notes.blogspot.com/

Survivall said...

Hi Karl - honoured mate - I am a fan of your blog and have visited it often - thanks

Mike said...

I see you use the Austrian Poncho and you may own a german one. How does the Austrian compare to the old 58 pattern British version.

SWECANOE said...

Its OK GaRY "COVER MISSING EQUIPMENT WITH EXPERIENCE, that the way I like.

Survivall said...

Mike, its lighter, more waterproof and cheaper at about £10 new ..... I also like its design which is longer at the back so can be worn over a pack

Hej Preben, det ar Bra, tack sa Mycket kompis.

Perkunas said...

Well this is interesting reading. Just today i was reading one reply, to certain knapsack post, in which the other guy old that my certain knapsack was clearly too small for even one night long trip "unless you can sleep by the fire". I think many people out there, still lack some courage to try to harden em self, so they would not need to drag a major size pack for one night in the bush. Blanket & tarp is often the only thing you need, instead of sleeping bag and tent and bivy and mattress and gas stove and 4 pots and pans :).

Survivall said...

very true Perkunas - I often hear the same type of thing. It is only by experiencing these things that people learn yet as you say most lack the courage to try - and many have to much of a "what if" attitude - what if its to cold or what if I get hungry etc - I say to them, what if it doesnt get to cold and what if you dont starve to death over night, and if it does why dont you have the skills to deal with the problem?? Kit reliance breds kit dependance .........THAT WHICH DOENST KILL US ALWAYS MAKES US STRONGER!