26.7.12



Pocket knives especially when hiking are a viable option - personally I find myself using my pocket knife much more these days so today, with time on my hands I thought I'd run a little review/test.

Its not scientific - and before any of you knife nuts get all anal on me, its just my opinion based on a couple of hours playing ............ ok??

My aims were simple the knives needed to meet a simple criteria and each tool would be tested doing a few basic camp chores such as food prep and carving a feather stick - nothing to hard or robust after all I'd never baton with a pocket knife for example.

The results were interesting - scored out of 5 (5 being the best) and they came in as the chart below shows.


TEST
LEATHERMAN
OPINEL
SWISS ARMY KNIFE
Army JACK KNIFE
SVORD PEASENT
Weight (lightest)
1
5
3
2
4
Food Preperation
4
5
5
4
1
Wood carving
5
5
4
4
2
Feather stick carving
5
3
5
3
4
Spark from firesteel
3 attachment
5
3 saw blade
4
3 tang
Easy to sharpen
3
5
3
5
5
Safe in usage
5
5
5
1
3

Strength of hinge/lock
5
5
5
1 no lock hinge ok
3
Comfort in use /carriage
3
5
5
3
3
Price (availability)
1
5
4
3
2
Addition features (good)
2.5
0
2.5
1
0
Lock
5
5
5
0
0
Total scores
32.5
53
49.5
31
30



 Couple of points - easy to sharpen was based on bevel so a flat single bevelor convex bevel being easier than a secondary bevel and additional features where judged on attachements I consider useful so the Leatherman Wave may have loads of "bits" but in all my days I have yet to find a use for a philips screw driver in the woods!
The test was fun and I think it helped focus my mind on the pocket knife for me - and that will be the Swiss Army Knife - the rucksack model as over all this ticks the most boxes in my criteria but the opinel came out of the test very well too so a simple knife.

 I still carry a Mora No1 as my "craft' in the bush knife and my trust old tomahawk for heavy work - but if I'm out hiking or camping or generally bumming around where a cutting tool isnt essential then the SAK Rucksack will always be in my pocket! 


4 comments:

Mike said...

Great comparison on the most commonly used penknives. I could never get on with the opinel for some reason and prefer the victorinox Outrider especially find the extra scissors useful.

Survivall said...

Cheers Mike, scissors are useful and if I had them on my SAK i would use them, alas the knives tested were ones I already had laying around so I had to go with what was there.

I still prefer a simple small single blade sheath knife like the Mora No1 and a hawk to any and all pocket knives but thats just my taste - as I say on the blog the SAK rucksack certainly suits my needs when hiking etc!

Perkunas said...

this is nice, like a simple, common mans talk to another common man, i like this you know.

hwever, the mentioning of "useless" screwdriver is something that i have to disagree sorry :).

i have found especially the phillips #2 and large flathead very useful tenths of times. Skis bindings = phillips screws get loose....Everymans righ cabin hinges and stoves, they all have screws loosened and need adjusting or repairing, rifle sights like the flathead driver, and such. No, ist not mandatory nor vital, but i have been glad when i could screw back the cabins window hinges so it could be carved to fit snugly back again, so the wind didnt blow snow in the place...many occasions man, and the weight of the screwdrier aint an issue to me.

Survivall said...

All true Perkunas - but if I needed a screw drive I would rather carry the correct tool for the job rather than a compromise on a muulti-tool - BUT i AGREE a multitool is beter than nothing if its all you have forunately I dont need screw drivers for any of my hiking gear etc so in this respect that are surplus to requirements ........... but good points well noted my friend