25.5.12

Dave Canterbury of Pathfinder school discusses cutting tools and the one tool to multitool carry options. Good video and very interesting conclusion in so much as Dave (and I agree with him) concludes that our belt knife is essentially a butchering and food prep tool - our axe/hatchet and pocket knife are our wood craft tools ............. Now I wonder if that £200 woodlore clone is a over priced kitchen knife or a one tool option ......... well it'd have to be the later cos their crap in the kitchen!! Seriously though - good video offering us some food for thought!! Thanks Dave.

4 comments:

Ross Gilmore said...

I always find interesting his obsession with losing his tools. I wonder how often it happens to him.

I think his discussion is very anglo-american in perspective. It is true that in North America people tended to have a dedicated skinning knife, but that is certainly not the case on a larger scale.

I think these days most of us would rather do our woodworking with a fixed blade knife than a clasp knife (I'm not sure the French Opinel qualifies as a clasp knife). I know I would.

I agree with him that you need the right tool for the job, but I certainly don't think the Nessmuk trio is the best way to go.

Bushwalker Clay said...

Liked the video,and must admit to agreeing whole heartly with his comments.Like the new Blog mate.

Bushwalker Clay said...

Just found your blog again,enjoying it very much.Agree with the conclusions that were made in the video.

Survivall said...

Welcome back Bushwalker ...........

Ross interesting to hear your view point mate, true the fear of losing a knife seems to out weigh the fact, well for myself at least in 20 plus years I've never yet lost a tool (that I can remember!)

As for the tool choices, I find myself using a pocket knife more than anything else - in fact when running course these days I only use a Mora for demo's as I expect the students to use one.

The Native/North American thought patterns as far as I can tell seem to stem from the fact that with the exception of Australia the America's where the last great untamed frontiers and as such a great source of written material ergo reference ........

For the keen outdoorsman with a open mind and a sharp wit videos like these provoke thought but shouldnt be concidered bibles