26.4.12

This morning, with rain pouring down I sat drinking a coffee when I heard someone knocking at my door - curious as I wasnt expecting anyone I jumped up and answered the door. The stood the postman with a small package.

As soon as I saw the writing on it and the address I knew it had come from my very good friend Mikko in Finland - a outdoorsman of great experience who I envy for his access to the finnish wilderness.

But I digress, back indoors now I hurriedly tore open the package and lo and behold inside I found a M95 Sissipuuko and a little cloth Finnish flag (nice touch Mikko!)





Now, firstly let me point out that SISSI - in Finnish translates as Ranger, or commando - and Puukko (while this isnt a true scandi grind type knife) in Finland is now a common term for knife, becoming generic.

The knife itself had been used and my first task there was to sharpen the edge - easily done with a dc4, some autosol and a strop! Next as you can see from the picture above my friend had whipped a small leather sheath to the front, this was light brown so being a bit ocd I decided to dye that black to match the sheath. Once that was done and dusted I tucked a firesteel, sharpening steel, GI can opener and a little beta light into the pouch and popped over the woods to play.

Now I've had this knife all day so my review isnt "in depth" but I have to say thus far this knife has done everything I asked of it - and well.

Firstly I tested it chopping and it hacked its way through a standing dead Birch in minutes - then I tried a spot of batoning and again it was like a knife through butter.


Lastly, to my mind always a good test of a cutting tools finese and usability is the carving of feather ........... and again this baby had no trouble completeing the job with ease .............


Lastly kitchen duty - woodlore clones with their chunky spines arent generally good all rounders and often come unstuck in the kitchen not a flaw in this knife - it peeled spuds, sliced mushrooms and tomatos and carved a roast lamb shoulder all with now expected ease and effortless ability I had quickly ground to expect!

Oh ya the specs are - Blade: 150x25 mm, 6x1" Total: 275 mm, 10 3/4" with a teflon coated carbon steel blade.


So all that remains is for me to thank Mikko for the gift and to say that without a shadow of a doubt this knife will definately become my new trusted companion!! 


It will need a few more tests, and a little more time before I can definately say this is the knife for me but thus far the future looks promising.

2 comments:

Finnman said...

Happy to see that you like it! It sure is very good knife and capable of lot. That pouch look very similar that I have in mine.

- Finnman

Waldgeistman said...

Nice review Gary. Just out of interest what was in the whipped on pouch? You OCD never...