31.1.12

The Grey .......... a movie review!!

This weeekend I went to see a excellent movie, The Grey.

OK so it's not strictly a bushcraft item but it is outdoorsy, and if it inspires someone to venture forth and embrace the nature is that a bad thing?

In essence while appearing a "bushcrafty" type film this is not really one however. The story is about a group of plane crash survivors who are stalked by a pack of Wolves in the snowy realms of the arctic. The behaviour of the wolves is debatable from a natural prespective and the survivors make, IMO, many text book survival mistakes so dont go thinking of it as a trainging manual either.

The sceneic views are stunning and if you like the arctic you'll enjoy it for the cold climate alone!

I havent, however, seen a film for a long time which made me stop and think like this one did, not just about the skills or content and story but theres something deeper and a little haunting about it. I cant really put my finger on it but this film has left me a little disturbed, haunted by a resonance I am still trying to work out.

Its a great film and well worth a view, dont expect a happy ending but sometimes lifes like that - I will definately be seeing it a second time and recommend it.

http://www.thegreythemovie.com/

3 comments:

Johan van Dijk said...

That's on the 'To See' list. Recently watched 'The Hunter' and enjoyed it (Tasmania based story)....

Talk soon. Grtz Johan

Perkunas said...

I have been wathcing it NOW for 38 minutes and i think i like this movie quite a bit,sir.

Finnman said...

I watched that in cinema last monday and yes it was great movie for long time!

- Finnman