30.3.11

What goes around comes around.

What goes around comes around - or more to the point, quoting Darth Vader, " THE CIRCLE IS NOW COMPLETE!"

How??

I grew to understand what the concept of Bushcraft was while serving in the Military. At that time I was, understandably, into military Survival which is a completely different beast to bushcraft in as much as Military survival is E+E based while bushcraft tends, as the name suggests, is about crafts!

So when I first came into bushcraft I came dressed and carrying "buckshee" gear from the forces, as I progressed into bushcraft, I like so many others (probably including you if your honest with yourself) became seduced by the brand name shiney shiney must have world which more and more has taken over bushcraft. Maybe its natural for people from a capitalist consumer society to be "gear hounds" maybe not? All I know is when I first left the army and started Shrafting there were about three models of bushcraft knife (for example) now there are hundreds...............

But I digress - my point in writing is I have now slowly escaped back to a world were my bushcraft is pure - following the ideals of Bushcraft which were originally so enticing - to me choice is a bad thing and simple is beautiful.

So before you to fall foul of the money pit that bushcraft can and has become consider this - do you need it? Dont confuse want and need either - do you need it or does the thing you have already work well enough? More importantly a bushcraft skill often over looked is the ability to make do or to improvise ........ anyway for me the circle is now complete and I find myself back where I started using kit thats dependable but more importantly kit thats affordable freeing my purse strings to allow me to "to do bushcraft" instead of trying to buy it and as a bonus it also means I have to use skills to over come problems rather than hiding behind kit!!

As a wise old man once said, "DONT REPLACE MISSING KNOWLEDGE WITH KIT - LEARN TO REPLACE MISSING KIT WITH KNOWLEDGE!"


3 comments:

SWECANOE said...

Hi Gary
The wise old man was me Preben Mortensen your pardner in Nordmarken Sweden.
>But it takea a while to learn and have the courage to leave at home the thing you think you will need, but when you come home a lot have just been in Your rugsdack unused.

Dark Horse Dave said...

Well said Gary. I'm not too far behind you in that circle myself!

Always enjoy your blog posts; keep up the good work!

Survivall said...

Yep you were indeed that wise old man ..... ") and very true regarding unused items too!!

Cheers Dave - i'll try!