1. Cotton Kills .......... no being a idiot kills you not cotton. If your to stupid to take along waterproof clothing whose faults that?
2. Wool while a good insulator is heavier, expensive and slow to dry.
3. Fleeces - promote sweating more readily but dry quicker - a micro fleece base layer, medium fleece pullover and a heavy fleece jacket are a less expensive and incredibly flexible combo.
4. A waterproof jacket is also windproof ........ why wear a seperate windproof??
5. Ventile prices are now way over priced - better a cheap ex army smock - better still a exarmy goretex then you have a hard wearing waterproof and windproof
6. Synthetics melt around the fire - so ventile/wool/cottons better? Technically yes - in reality I've never (in 30 years of outdoorsmanship) ever seen it!
7. Cold feet - put on a hat!
8. The head is a great way to control heat lose or to cool down!
9. Using a scarf or headover/buff is equal to wearing a woolly jumper for heat retention.
10. More people die of cold injuries per annum in London than Norway - never underestimate the weather!
11. Never spend more on a knife than you would on a waterproof jacket.
12. Always button/zip/velcro closed your pocket after use - that way you'll never lose that important survival item or even your mobile phone!
Many of the above comments are made to dis-prove the myths of outdoor clothing - the wool industry invented cotton kills ect ect as such never believe all you read - never swallow the sales hype - listen to those who use the garments not those who sell em or make em or are friends with those who do!
YOUR CLOTHING IS YOUR FIRST LINE OF DEFENCE AGAINST THE ELEMENTS - DRESS FOR THE WORSE CONDITIONS EXPECTED ALWAYS! May outdoors lives could have been saved if folks were dressed correctly!